The 2020 Jumpstart summer workshops offered by the NSF HSI National STEM Resource Hub provide basic insight and instruction on how to compete for NSF funding (https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2019/nsf19540/nsf19540.htm).
The workshop content prepares attendees to submit applications to the NSF HSI Initiative solicitation NSF 19‐540 that seeks to increase grant support for STEM Education in Hispanic Serving Institutions (due date third Wednesday in September, annually). During the event, participants will have a unique opportunity to seek advice from successful grant applicants, to direct questions to experienced and knowledgeable grant awardees, and to analyze a sample proposal to learn the elements of a grant proposal.
The workshop is designed for anyone interested in applying for the NSF HSI Initiative call NSF 19‐540.
The Texas workshop is open to all attendees of the St. Edwards University TxHSIC conference who will have priority admission. Conference attendees should complete the application process below and will be admitted in the order their application is received. Pre-workshop training materials will be sent to those who apply by the deadline of April 10, 2020.
Non-conference attendees are welcome to participate. Selection priority for non-conference attendees is for applicants who are (1) faculty within their first 10 years of academic appointment, (2) from 2‐year and 4‐year HSIs that have been awarded limited prior NSF support, and (3) those who seek to collaborate on applications from these institutions.
Cost: There are no additional fees to attend the workshop.
- Conference attendees have priority admission and should reserve their seat by April 10, 2020.
- Conference Attendee applications
- Apply at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/conferencejumpstart2020
- Prepare your online application using this document: 2020JUMPSTARTConferenceApplPrep.docx
- Non-conference Attendee applications
- The finalized application should be submitted at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/jumpstart2020a.
- Prepare to submit your application using this document. 2020-JUMPSTART-APPLICATION.docx
- Workshops are being added weekly so do not worry if your workshop is not listed on the form. It is posted in the online application. Applicants are encouraged to upload a brief letter of institutional support with their application.
Workshop Leaders: TBA
Travel and Accommodations: Attendees are responsible for arranging and paying for their own travel and accommodations.
Dates & Locations
St. Edward’s University in Austin, TX. 3001 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704.
- May 20, 2020: 1:30 – 4:15 pm
Accommodations are plentiful in the surrounding area. More hotel information?
Registration fee: There are no additional fees to attend the workshop.
- The nearest airport is the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Driving directions to St. Edward’s University can be found at the following link: https://www.stedwards.edu/maps-and-directions
Nourishment. We will provide breakfast.
If you have questions, please contact:
NSF HSI STEM Resource Hub
This workshop is supported by St. Edward’s University, TxHSIC Conference, and the National Science Foundation (Awards 1832338/NMSU; 1832345/CSUN). Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed during the workshop are those of the presenter and do not necessarily reflect the views of St. Edward’s University, TxHSIC Conference, the National Science Foundation, Cal State Northridge, DACC or New Mexico State University.